Sunday, November 1, 2009

With My Brasilian Bonnet

Of all the smells on a Sunday in Rio, someone in or near my apartment is making or eating buttered popcorn. It smells SO good. YUM. I'm about to go knocking on doors, but my windows are open and not sure...it might be coming from anywhere--upstairs--across the street.

A GAY OLD TIME

So it just happens to be Gay Pride here in Rio this weekend, and they had a parade down Copacabana Beach. It was scheduled for 2 p.m., but it rained most of the day, and I think they moved it back to like 4:30 or something. I decided to walk down to the beach and take a look and what I found were thousands of people, mostly soaked to the skin--and most were showing a lot of it--and I'd say a good majority pretty drunk. But most seemed pretty happy regardless of it all. Nothing like alcohol to make people happy.

The music was loud, the crowd thick, and lots of trash everywhere. I have to say I didn't really like it so much, but I guess a sight to see.

I've decided I'm not a big fan of parades in general, much less gay pride parades.

And the moral of the story is, DON'T EVER have a parade in the RAIN.

MOVE ON, JUST MOVE ON

It's my last week in the apartment. I'm pretty sure the landlady is somehow going to screw me out of some of my deposit so today I took the first step...

I sent her an e-mail thanking her for the stay, told her I was prepared to leave the place in great shape, but unless she was ready to give me the full refund, I'd consulted with a real estate lawyer and she'd advised me to not leave the apartment until that happens. (I kind of fibbed on that part...I've never spoken to anyone about it who knows Brasilian law).

The ball is in her court...we'll see what she does.

SCREEN-PLAY IT AGAIN SAM

Ok, it's been a week, I'm on page 9 (about 9 minutes into the movie), and I'm wondering if you guys are even reading it.

If you are and like it, respond to today's posting and say yea or nay. It won't hurt my feelings either way.

FORLORN HOPE

Page 9, 10

EXT. WASHINGTON D.C. STREET - MORNING

An elegant tree-lined street with stately mansions. Washington monuments in the b.g. Women and men walk the sidewalks.

EXT. ELIZA DONNER HOUGHTON'S HOUSE

An impressive Victorian. Summer in full bloom.

INT. ELIZA DONNER HOUGHTON'S HOUSE, ELIZA'S DRESSING ROOM

Eliza sits at her dressing mirror. Her servant, FREIDA, late 20's, a Paiute Indian, fastens Eliza's corset.

ELIZA
I don't believe I have an option, Sherman. I
simply must go.

SHERMAN (O.S.)
You could stay put.

Freida tightens the corset.
ELIZA
Freida, must you bind me like a papoose? I must
breath.

FREIDA
Sorry Miss Eliza. You like it--

Eliza gives a "stop talking" look.

SHERMAN (O.S.)
We'll be returning to California in less than two
months. Can't he wait?

Eliza stands and begins to exit the room but is restrained by Frieda's firm grasp on the strings. Eliza turns, pulls the srings from Freida's hands and exits through a central

HALLWAY

and into

SHERMAN'S BEDROOM

where Sherman's tying his tie. Freida stands at the door.

ELIZA

To squelsh this malicious lie once and for all can
only help your re-election efforts. And it's what we've
dreamt for some time.

Sherman looks at her in disbelief.

ELIZA
Okay, I've dreamt it. My Mother's diary...I simply
must go. I'm, well, I'm tired of having everything I...
we work so hard to have that...eh, lie footnooted to it.

SHERMAN
Darling, it's been thirty-five years. Can't it wait
another week?

Eliza helps him with his tie.

ELIZA
I've learned to never wait, not even a day. I'm
leaving on the next train.

SHERMAN
You can't go alone and I'm in session.
ELIZA
Freida will accompany me.

SHERMAN
Do I have a say in this?

ELIZA
You do, but this time you'll lose by one vote.

He stands on his tiptoe and kisses him.

SHERMAN
Ahh, that same one vote.

EXT. TRAIN STATION - MORNING, NEXT DAY

Eliza, Sherman and Freida stand on the platform.

ELIZA
If the injuns don't get us, we'll be back in no time.

Sherman looks at Freida, then Eliza.

ELIZA
Freida, ohh, not you Freida. You're one of the good
ones. Couldn't live without you.

Freida doesn't smile. The train WHISTLES.

CONDUCTOR (O.C.)
All aboard.

ELIZA
We'll be fine.

She thrusts her hands into her pockets and the RATTLE of wax paper is heard. She gets a contented look on her face.

SHERMAN
I do wish you'd stay.

Eliza pulls from her pockets two wrapped candies, places one in Freidas hand and then directs her onto the servants section, where primarily African-Americans are boarding. Eliza hands hte second candy to Sherman. He takes it, without question.

ELIZA
I'll telegraph you when I arrive.

She steps on the train and blows him a kiss. She's gone. The train jolts forward.

Sherman waves to nothing.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Brett. I'm reading your day to day blogging, but not the screen play. I just don't have the time. Sorry. Enjoying keeping up with you. But you've never said why you're there and how long you're staying. What's the story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett,
    I agree with Suzanne. I'm waiting for some "real" stuff as was promised at the beginning. I read every day and think you are such a clever writer. A gift I wish I had.
    I have read some but not all of the screenplay, I forget from day to day and sometimes don't have the time to read all the way through it. I really want to know what you are doing, thinking, learning, experiencing.
    I love you,

    ReplyDelete