Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I Wish I Could See Clearly Now

Is anyone out there except two people...reading my blog? I got two comments back on the screenplay. Both aren't reading it...I'm gonna put off writing any more of that until tomorrow. Please tell me if you're reading it or not.

Steve Spielberg...are you reading my screenplay? If so, call me...I'll have ME call YOUR Girl.

SO WHAT DO YOU DO, ANYWAY

It's a common question that most men ask each other within the first five minutes of introduction-- well, two minutes of conversation. It's kind of a modern day way to find out where you fit on the Maleness heirarchy ladder. Brains trumps manual labor. Brains and Money trump Brains and Book Smarts. Celebrity and Social Awareness can trump them all. Doctors, right up there on the top rung--unless it's a Doctor followed by a PHD...you're back down with the Book Smarts guys. Evolutionary processes can be messy.

So of course, while here, every person I've meet asks me the question, "what do you do, anyway"--it apparently crosses cultural and geographic boundaries.

I blurt out something in elementary portuguese that satisfies them..."I do my work on the internet from my work in the states", or something like that.

But it's a vague answer. Vague because I really don't have an honest answer.

What do I do? Why am I here? Where am I going from here?

All very good questions, and all very "ify" at best, at this point in my life.

Fifty. Yes, 50...you're supposed to be settled, on the down-hill slope towards retirement. Kids married, out of the house. You're slowing down, enjoying the fruits of your labors.

Fruits...labors.

Um, well, I'm here enjoying fruits of all kinds, but labor...not so much. The fruits of my labors kind of evaporated about one year ago to this month. And to be honest, it was a big blow. Bigger than I originally thought. Big enough to make me completely change my lifestyle, my living situation, my income, and my plans for the future.

Did I fail, or did my work situation fail me. Or if I'm really honest with myself, is it really one and the same?

So close...to all those 50's activities I should be doing, and with one press conference in some foreign country, with three executives that each could be holding a letter, D, H, L, and all of those dreams are now gone. Poof. POOF. And shortly thereafter, a twin turban jet's engines and 11 hours later, I'm living in Rio de Janeiro and writing a blog.

What do you do anyway...um, I really can't say.

Pass the fruit please.

CATCH THE WAVE

Big waves on the beach today...LIKE big ones. After the sixth big wave pounded me into the shore, I got out and watched the 100's of people enjoying them with care or worry.

And interesting waves they were.

The ocean would be calm for 4 minutes or so, and then a wave of new waves would stealth their way into shore. They seemed to come from no where...and they didn't really seem that big, but when they got closer to the shore, they packed a force unthought of just 30 seconds earlier.

As I stood on the beach watching, my mind went back to the Tsunami victims in Southeast Asia a couple of years back. They must have had no clue, just another beautiful day at the beach, and then BAM, it hit and they were gone.

It kind of freaked me out, actually...so I packed up my towel and went back to the apartment.

SO THIS IS THE BEST VIEW IN THE CITY

This evening, a friend took me up to the base of one of the favelas (slums). Well, it's not like he took me, we just walked up this street--the same street that passes by my apartment. Up a zig zag winding cobblestone road, and a couple hundred yards of height increase, he announced that this was the start of the favela. I looked, and the ramshackle houses were packed one on top of the other as if miracuosely attached to the steep hillside. But the good thing for them, is they really must have amazing views of the city. AMAZING. No money, but awesome views. It's like a little bonus for being dirt poor. "We can't eat today Dear, but would you LOOK at that view".

I wonder if any of them had their life's career taken from them too, like maybe one year ago today.

I know I didn't see any DHL delivery trucks in the area.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for somewhat answering my question. I'm reading between the lines. No worries. :-) As far as the slums being on hillside and having awesom views, I noticed that in Venezuela too. I was told it's b/c of mudslides and so it's not the desired place to live. Very interesting, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett,
    This is an interesting blog. You write so well. I feel some of the emotion you are feeling when you write.
    I too read your screenplay a few years back and told you then that I found it very intriguing. Are you changing it much as you post it here? Love you!

    ReplyDelete