Saturday, October 31, 2009

Take That...And Sleep On It!

Today's Halloween but you wouldn't really know it here in Rio. Outside of an occasional young woman on the street with a witches costume (well really a hat), that's about as much as I've seen. I think the day here is called Day of the Witches, or the more Catholic tradition is called the The Day of the Dead...it's more like our Memorial Day, but they go to the cemeteries and light candles for the dead, and weep and wail. It's an interesting phenomenom.

PROUD OWNER OF A NEW BED

I decided to move into a three bedroom apt with these two guys I stayed with when I first got here. Come to find out the apt ISN'T on the beach as I thought (although it's just three small blocks from it). The good thing about it is that is QUIET. After nearly three weeks of Street Noise, I'm ready for quiet...peace and quiet after 7 a.m.

And it's clean and has very nice parque wood floors. One downside I've seen to far is the toilet lid hits one of the valves and wont stay up...you have to lean against it as you sit--NOW THAT's gonna get annoying, I can tell you right now.

The only thing is, they made me buy a bed being as they didn't have one. Which I did today...About $1,000, marked down from $2,000. You must be thinking--WHAT...for two months. But the two guys agreed to buy the bed from me when I leave, so it isn't as crazy as it sounds. And it's a nice bed. BUT, an expensive bed just the same...Yep, beds I found are EXPENSIVE here. The same bed would be about $500 in the US. Twice the amount. BUT, I did get four free pillows, a bed cover and the skirt for that price. :) Lucky me. AT LEAST I KNOW IT'S CLEAN, which I'm not so sure about with the bed I've been sleeping on.

WHERE ARE THE MISSIONARIES?

I was thinking today as I walked down the street...I've been here three weeks now. and I've yet to see my first Mormon Missionary. I know they must be out there, but no, nothing.

Come out, Come out wherever you are Elders!

MYSTERY CREPE AND A HIT IN THE FACE

For breakfast this monring, I went to one of the sidewalk cafes, and ordered what I found out to be a Crepe with turkey, ricotta cheese and I think either black olives or dried prunes...not really sure even after eating it. But it was pretty tasty. Anyway, as I was eating, this young kid, about 12 or 15 came by and ever so politely he touched my shoulder and put out his hand, asking for something.

The first brush by, I waved him off....hardening myself to the daily onslaught of beggers. But after seeing him be so polite to others and getting no where, plus he was rather skinny, I realized I didn't really need all my dried prune crepe, and cut it into two, giving him a half.

I was feeling pretty good about it when about 2 minutes later, I heard a loud, mean voice behind me, and then the sound of a fist cracking into a skull. I turned just in time to see some man scolding the kid for hanging around the area and the kids head take the blow.

I didn't know what to do...The poor kid took off, but not until the man gave chase.

Hopefully he finished the Crepe before he got walloped.

Life's tough. But for some, more so.

Chuveu ontem a noite e hoje a noite.


FORLORN HOPE

Page 9

EXT. MARY'S RANCH HOUSE - EVENING

A modest house with corrals and barn.

INT. MARY'S RANCH HOUSE, KITCHEN TABLE

Mary, her husband JAMES THOMAS CLARK, late 50's, two older SONS and a DAUGHTER, and Daniel surround the table.

DANIEL
But others are helpin' him. If you don't--

MARY
I've contribued more than enough for one lifetime.
It's behind me.
(beat)
If I choose not to assist some yellow journalist in
profiteering scheme, at my expense, then so be it.

JAMES
Mary, if the others have agreed, well...it might not
be a bad idea.

MARY
(agitated)
James! Daniel! I shan't waste more of my time
cooking a warm meal if each of you prfer them cold.
Daniel, tomorrow ride into town and send a reply to
Mr. McGlashan stating that I have better things to
do with my life than to relive it.

DANIEL
(humbled)
Yes Ma'am.

Mary cuts a slice of rare, bloody steak and eats it.



2 comments:

  1. Your reference to the young "beggar" certainly caught my attention as did your rare bloody steak idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do not use the sirens when there is no rush. Why rush a dead person to the hospital? :D

    ReplyDelete