Sunday, November 29, 2009

Four-to-Five Deep



I'm a little early today because in a couple of hours I'll take an hour and 1/2 bus ride up to Max' farm. He's British, nice guy. And needs someone to drive his Jeep back into the city...so I volunteered.

I thought I'd write this now and not have to worry about lugging the laptop with me on the bus.

EVERYONE LOVES A PARADE

Disney really is amazing.

I was walking down the street this morning, looking for something to eat when I looked towards the beach area and saw a line of people, and then heard a roar go up from the crowd. Instantly, I thought..A PARADE, so I decided to go check it out.

Come to find out, Disney had organized, and I'm sure paid a pretty penny, to have a parade down Copacabana. Not quite as spectacular as the Disney Parade that winds through DisneyLand, it still did a pretty good job of spotlighting all the Disney characters, Sleeping Beauty and her castle, etc.

The songs were all translated into Portuguese, and the skin tone of most of the characters was a bit darker, but where natural hair color didn't match the image, wigs too it's place.

And what a marketing machine Disney is. I was amazed at how international all those characters are. Children were lining up, sitting atop shoulders, just to catch a glimpse of Mecke Mos (as they pronounce his name). One little girl was sobbing as Mickey's float passed by, she was so overcome with joy. Shortly thereafter, an ambulance pulled up to take another little boy and his mother away...not sure why...but I doubt it was because Pulto was too much for him.

FEEDING FRENZY

From there I walked past one of the Street Fairs (I mentioned that daily these street fairs travel to different locations...selling all kinds of produce, meats, flowers, fruits, etc.), looking for some lunch.

I stopped at a little PASTEL stand. It's a deep fat friend pastry, filled with meat, or cheese, or shrimp, or chicken...AND VERY GOOD. And served with it is a freshly squeeze sugar can, quickly chilled over ice and served fresh. DELICIOUS. But because the parade had just ended, there was a mob around this square stand two/three/four deep. And they were hungry!

It reminded me of the KOI (not sure how to spell that) fish ponds where tourists throw bread at the fish to see them swarm all over each other.

There were four men inside trying to fulfill orders, but really, the jockying for position, andyelling for this or that...I'm amazed they were able to keep anything straight.

The biggest surprise is that they don't take your money until you're finished and ready to leave, but they also don't pay particular attention to any one customer. Different men filling different aspects of your order. It's done entirely on the HONOR SYSTEM. Pretty impressive. But it seemed to work. I'm sure maybe someone made off with the free drink and a pastel, but I'm guessing the majority of the people were honest and paid for what they ate.

Because in the end, I think the VAST MAJORITY of people are honest and want to do what's right--pay for what they consume.

And good-hearted. I see more giving to the poor/invalid/street people here than in the US. Probably because in the US, we think there is a social program we're already paying for that is taking care of those people. That isn't the case here...those social programs don't exist, so I think people reach out more to help.

I was walking into a grocery store the other night and sitting right by the door was a begger...he looked skinny, but not sick.

Just as I was about to pass him, a man and his little daughter exited the store, saw the Man and said, "What, you still here. Come on, I'll go buy you some food. C'mon!" So a bit reluctantly, the begger got up and followed the man across the street to a shop. I'm thinking the man has seen this man before, but also didn't feel the $4 or $5 bucks was too much for him to give the man a meal.

As I left the store, the begger was back in his spot, wiping the last few crumbs from his mouth with one hand, the other hand outstreched asking for some change.

Life goes on. But because of one man, another man had a full stomach that night. And maybe he can save the spare change he gained for a BEER or DRUGS. LOL (Isn't that the reason most of us don't give to the homeless...we feel they'll misuse our good deed.)

Ahh, give anyway...a sinful beer to someone is a carbohydrate refreshment to another.

UPDATES

1. Still no A/C
2. Return date uncertain
3. It's HOT






3 comments:

  1. Your insights about the reason you see more giving there than in the US is right on the mark I think. However, I will add that in the USA we are told NOT to give to street venders, instead give to the homeless shelter, etc. I personally like what the US does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a softie....and I like it! It's probably good that Brandon doesn't live down there. He would give everything we had if he could.
    Do you have a drivers license for Brazil? How did driving the Jeep go?
    You are coming home for Christmas right?
    Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett, I am at Mom and Dad's and we want to know....when the heck you get home for Christmas. Mom said you had tickets and would be here on the 20th. Has that changed?

    ReplyDelete