Saturday, November 28, 2009






I did it again...I went a day without writing. I was going to, and then didn't, and was going to, and then didn't...well, you know where that one ends. I didn't.

Anyway, I'm back.

IS THE MUSEUM FOR ART, OR THE ART

Today I took the ferry from the center of the city over to visit a couple of friends--and then to see the Museum of Contemporary Art. First the friends.

One is an ex Missionary for the church (I think I mentioned him before)...and living now in Niteroi and working for the phone company OI, which by the way is robbing me blind everytime I make a phone call (he promises to fix that...but I've yet to see that.) He is no longer active in the Church, and seems content with his life. And tall Brasilian--about 6'4", and always has a smile on his face. It was fun to have the mission as a common background as we walked through another American Style Mall (with GREAT air conditioning), looking for nothing in particular, but just enjoying a cool afternoon indoors and away from the sun.

The second friend has a CAR...a nice little perk, and was able to drive around the area and show me some points of interest. I'll post a couple of pictures to give you a feel for what we saw. He's a young attorney, just starting out on his career.

I may have mentioned this before, but children live with the parents LONG into adulthood. He is I think 28 and has NO INTENTION of moving out any time soon. I've encounterd men, women, even families in their 30's/40's that still live at home and think nothing of it. In fact, being a very FAMILY ORIENTED culture, it's the an accepted practice.a

So watch out Mom & Dad...I could still show up anytime, any time at all. :)

Anyway, one of the places I wanted to see...and the primary reason for my trip across the bay was to Visit the museum. It's such a unique building...more like something you'd see in a space
fantasy.

The art within was mediocre at best (always in the eye of the beholder, so I'm cautious not to say it wasn't anything worth seeing), but the space is so unique I liked it.

Below, there's a restaurant we rested and ate some Strawberry Cheesecake--and good Cheesecake at that.

Afterwards we continued our drive, and some of the views looking back at the city, were spectacular with the setting sun...JUST BEAUTIFUL.

Having taken the ferry over, I decided to take the bus back. We went across this huge bridge...and since the drive back hit about the Twilight Hour , the ligh hitting the city made it appear peaceful, inviting, and beautiful.

I've always look the twilight hour. I remember on the farm, after working a long, hot day, the respite provided by twilight was always so inviting. The greens were always a darker color, and there was a peace (and a smell), that just made the day seem complete.

I loved it, and miss the twilights on the farm.

THE LONG THANKSGIVING WEEKEND

Being the holidays up north, a lot of people flocked down to a warmer climate. The beaches were pretty packed yesterday and on the streets and restaurants, I could hear a LOT of English being spoken. I even ran into a couple of people I knew from NYC. It's always weird when you run into people in unexpected places. But fun, just the same.

DOWN HOME ON THE BRASILIAN FARM

Tomorrow, I plan to visit a British Man who owns several apartments in the city (Hopefully I can land in one of them) at his farm about 1 1/2 hours away from the city. It'll be good get away, and kind of reduce the temperature by 15 degrees (it's up in the mountains), and relax away from all the CITY stuff.

New adventures are always good.

Always.


1 comment:

  1. I love your description of twilight on the farm. Again, your memories are much stronger than mine. I am sure I noticed some wonderful twilights on the farm. I just don't remember a single one of them.

    ReplyDelete