Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving Thanks for Being in Brasil


I've lived away from the US during Thanksgiving before, and it's funny how the rest of the world goes on it's way without the hustle/bustle of Thanksgiving...you know what I mean, travel, food, dinner, family, traffic, delayed flights, etc. etc.

I did get a couple of Happy Thanksgiving's from Brasilians, or mostly Ex-Patriots either from the US or Europe. But just in a fleeting way. There's no sentiment around the holiday. None of the emotions that "Thanksgiving" brings to most Americans.

Which makes me think a bit about cultural differences and how they drive our thoughts and actions. I'm sure there are millions of people so happy today in the US, being with family and friends. And on the other hand, there are probably millions of people miserable today...dreading the time with family, the travel, the "conformity" of the holiday. It would be interesting to see how many suicides are committed around this holiday. I mentioned yesterday the woman that was doing the cruise to ESCAPE Thanksgiving and the sad memories it would bring her.

Yet it's all because of a man-made "hoiliday" designed to give thanks for everything. Thankfully, it's about the LAST holiday that hasn't become completely commercialized.

Makes me think how much cultural barriers have been created that limit the human race from really getting to the core of humanity--that is knowing and loving each other, for no other reason than we are "family".

I believe it's a wise and better man/woman that is capable of stepping outside of his "culturally imprinted" thoughts and actions, and look at the world/mankind without the shroud of culture, nationalism, race, religion, sect, class, neighborhood, or clique.

I think the best way to do that is to step outside one's "comfort culture" and experience others as they are, within their world.

Once you do this, the world becomes more simple and understandable. It's easier to see a Brother/Sister, than a stranger, enemy, infidel, threat, liberal/conservative, good-for-nothing or even a cock-eyed son-of-a-buckin'-son-of-a buck :) .

On this day, I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to do that in Brasil.

Oh, and I'm also very thankful for my great family, friends and life.

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND I SAW WHAT YOU WROTE

I think I've mentioned before that I LOVE the comments you write. If anyone can tell me how to respond to them individually, without writing something to the entire world, I'd like to know.

I'm happy to welcome JULIE...Hi Julie. I don't know you, but I read your comment last night...just a stranger passing through my blog. Thanks for you comment and welcome back anytime.

SOAP OPERAS THAT WORK

I might have mentioned that Brasil has had a long tradition of soap operas. But they are a bit different than those in the US.

In the US, they are broadcast mid morning to early afternoon. They are a continuing story that could go on for 30+ years or more.

In Brasil, they are a nightly affair, and the story line only lasts for about 3-6 months, and then it ends. And a new one starts up. Each night, you can walk down the streets and hear the familiar music of the soap coming from most apartments.

It is a very CULTURAL phenomenom, and one that is GOING STRONG--where in the US, Soaps are dying.

As I close off, I'll say one more time to all...Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving. As I reflect upon what I'm thankful for, I'm grateful for a brother who tought me the importance of good study habits. Good enough to earn a degree that allows me to provide for my family during some tough economic times. Thank you!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, Brett. There isn't any way to respond on here individually. You just have to email the person and respond that way. If you don't have it, my email address is on my Facebook account. Keep the deep thoughts coming. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett, Suzanne is right. IF you cannot figure out how to access their email's, that I can help you with. Let me know.
    We spent Thanksgiviing with Gary's family. EVERYone but Carol's son Eric (serviing a mission right now) was in attendance. Even Jimmy surprised us Thanksgiving morning with a surprise visit. It was a fun and wonderful day! Love you!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW: The familiar explatives you used brought a smile to my face. It is the intent not the words, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete