Wednesday, November 11, 2009

You Say Tomato, I say RED JUICY FRUIT

The same tudor called and said he couldn´t do it again today--late at work. This time I said..."will this happen during a normal week too?" He says no, but not sure I believe him. Tomorrow is his LAST shot at me.

IT´S ON THE TIP OF MY TONGUE

While strolling through a pretty recognizable national store called LOJA AMERICANA (American Store), I stumbled across some videos for sale and it made me stop and laugh at some of the titles. So I jotted down a few and thought I´d share them with you.

On the left, the Brasilian title...on the right the American. Some are very similar, and some, well, yeah, you get the point.

For example:

1. A Beautiful Woman--Pretty Woman (That one was a dead give-away...but read on)
2. In Some Place of the Past--Somewhere in Time
3. The Wind Lifted Away -- Gone With The Wind
4. The Young Rebellious One -- The Sound of Music
5. Those Times of Brilliance -- Grease
6. The Seven Capital Crimes -- Seven
7. The Overpowering Chief -- The Godfather
8. Tail Coat of a Thief -- To Catch a Thief
9. Twilight of the Deuses -- Sunset Boulevard
10.Where the Weak Aren´t Given a Turn -- No Country for Old Men

So anyway, I wonder what my movie would be called if it gets made and makes it back down to Brasil. "The Hope of the Damned", maybe. Actually, that's not a bad title.

MADONNA SEAL OF APPROVAL

Not sure if you heard or not, but Madonnã´s down here looking to set up some kind of help for the poor children living in the slums. God Bless Her, if she actually does it. Hey, she can use some good brownie points. I think she´s staying very near where I live now, but as of yet, no M sitings.

NOW THAT´S BLACK

Did you hear about the big black out that covered 7 Brasilian states and parts of Paraquay last night? I was 1/2 asleep on my bed, dosing sort of, not yet in bed, when the light began to flcker...and then went off...but I was too tired...I just fell asleep.

I guess it was really big...the biggest in Brasil´s history, but I slept right through it.


Cloudy here the past couple of days but a relief from the heat, so I´m happy.

2 comments:

  1. They do that because either the title would sound funny in Portuguese if translated literally or because the title has some untranslatable element from American culture in it.

    Those titles, believe it or not, sound entirely natural to a Brazilian. Imagine now what WE sound like if we speak mentally translating word for word from English.

    It does make it hard to figure out what movie they're talking about. Usually when someone asks me if I've seen a movie, I respond, "er... maybe. Tell me about the plot."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the title, Tail coat of a thief.

    ReplyDelete