Thursday, November 19, 2009

When in Rio...Dress the Part


You know when you have one of those days where you kind of think you did some stuff, but when you sit down at the end of the day, you're not sure what, if anything worthwhile you did.

Today appears to be one of those days for me.

I did do some stuff, spent some time with friends, lunch with a friend, a couple hours at the beach...stuff like that, but NOTHING of note.

Hum, I need to not have those types of days any more.

REMEMBERING MY MISSION

A couple of family members have asked me if I've been back to the places I lived during my mission, or seen the people I taught.

That answer is no. I did my mission in Sao Paulo...which is about the distance from Southern Utah to LA, California away. So running into them would be tough. And how to contact them would be even tougher, since I lost contact with them over 20 years ago.

And as of yet, I've yet to run into a missionary. I just think that's weird. Some people have "heard" of the missionaries, but most haven't seen them.

When I was a missionary, I thought everyone noticed us in our white shirts and ties in the heat of summer. But I guess not.

GOING THE BRASILIAN WAY

Ok, so when in Rome, right. Anyway, I broke down recently and bought a brasilian swimsuit. About 70 percent of the men wear these suits. And think nothing of it. And I must say, they are MUCH more easy to swim/play in the water with than the long board shorts most Americans wear.

I'll post a picture above of what I'm talking about, not me mind you, but just imagine me in one of them. (And while a lot of Brasilians do have great bodies, um, yeah, these guys are ABOVE the norm).

When in Rome...

Like when I visited Mom and Dad in Turkey...I went to the Turkish Baths for a massage...(that was a painful experience, but hey, when in Istanbul, right?), and when there, if I wanted to enter their mosques, I had to wear a black covering around my shorted bare legs.

So here's it's kind of the opposite, I'm taking a little more OFF :)

WOMEN on the other hand take a lot off...wow, what they charge for really, just string.

But they all have nice tans...definitely all have that skins that TANS well--unlike me and my SPF 45.


3 comments:

  1. I think the Copacabana beach 'area' is bit off limits for the missionaires...too many 'strings' for their eyes to see as you say. Not all that healthy or all that productive for their 'intended' activities.

    Head out to the suburbs of Rio and you'll probably see some there. Better yet, you can get back in your 'Portuguese language groove' and go on some 'missionary splits' with them...you'll be speaking like a native in no time.

    'In the background' so to speak..., I see you haven't sought out any church buildings to attend any Church meetings...(ie-Sacrament,etc.)...in any of your posts.

    I've enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for allowing me to read about your adventures behind the scenes so to speak. You were always the great writer for our talent shows, plays, etc. in HB8th ward.

    I was going to comment on your 'attitude' one...(I think that was it...about how people perceived you in the 80's versus now)...but couldn't think of anything much different than what you already said. We we're all so much different then, yet, I assume you are still as 'suave' and 'funloving' and longing to be with 'fun people who do fun things' as you were then.

    Keep up the good work !

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't do it. Don't put one of those one. Underwear was NEVER intended to be worn on the outside. Please don't send a picture:) and I promise not to send one of me in one of those string things.
    I've been busy this past week so I just got caught up on your blog. Thank you for keeping us updated on your life down there. I love knowing whats going on.
    I love you Brett and this Thanksgiving.....I am grateful for my oldest, biggest brother who has always loved me and treated me like I am something special.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Brazilian I must say you'd look amazing wearing them, and they are way more comfortable indeed.

    I guess it's just a Cultural difference. =) I hope you kept yours..

    ReplyDelete