Sunday, December 27, 2009

A White Christmas

Did you miss me? C'mon, you know you did.

So, unbeknowst to me until last Thursday, I had to head back to NYC to take care of some business stuff--including legal matters for the lawsuit which had to be submitted by January 4th. So rather than wait til after the new year, I just used my original return air ticket and went back.

But I didn't want my family to know, so I didn't tell them I was home...and writing on here would have given away too many clues, so I stopped writing.

SURPRISE, IT'S ME

Two days before Christmas, I walked into my home in Provo...to what I'd say was the delight of my Father and Mother. It's nice to know you're wanted and loved. And then two days latter, at the family Christmas party, I surprised everyone else.

It always works so well in the Hallmark commericals...military son, home on leave, surprises the family. Well, no music played at our heartstrings when I walked in, but I dare say they WERE surprised, and they WERE happy to see me.

Ahhhhhhhh

AND START ALL OVER AGAIN

But since I'd booked a trip to Argentina LEAVING from Rio, I had to return to Rio on Christmas day. And one little gift that the US gave me was a pretty intense cold. I managed it well while in NYC and Provo, but that flight down to Rio was a little rough. My sinuses fought against me the whole way, and in the end, they left the battle scare of a pretty good sinus headache.

I did however get three seats to myself on the flight, which helped. But because of the annoying headache, everything annoyed me. Like this girl four rows up that continually kept twirling and flipping a strand of hair. I know, minor, but it got to me. Finally I had to turn away from here...couldn't take the flipping, twirling, swishing of blond hair ONE MORE HOUR--yes hours...I think she did it the whole time she was awake on the 8 hour flight.

So now I'm here in Rio and it's HOT and MUGGY and I really like it. Coming from the snow and cold of NYC and Provo, it's refreshing to walk this evening along the beach, see the beautiful setting sun, the people tanned and tired heading back home from a day in the sun...and me with nothing to do but wile away the hours.

I just hope this cold goes quickly, cause I wouldn't want the last couple of weeks here in Rio to be tagged with a post nasal drip epilogue.

BRUTAL READING

I picked up a small book in the airport in Charlotte (one of my two lay-overs--Phoenix the other) called PUSH (soon to be released as the move Precious). It's about a young black girl cheated and abused by society and her family in many ways, in the 80's living in Harlem. It's a BRUTAL read, but actually a very insightful read. If you can make it through a story about one of the saddest childhoods imaginable, pick it up. So far, I recommend it and I'm 3/4 the way done.

IT'S NOT MY PARTY

Last night with two friends, I went to a dance club. I have to say, people seemed to be having a good time. But I might have to say my club days are about over. The music got old. The scene got old. And then I realized I was way too old for the music and scene. :)

Give me a beat you can dance to WITH WORDS, please.

The fact I had a cold and a slight headache still from the flight didn't help matters. But still, I was ready to go an hour or so after I arrived.

WHICH SHELL IS BRETT UNDER NOW

My paradise apartment ends tomorrow. (I missed out on a good week of it while in the US), and I return for the last days of the month to my other apt. Hopefully, the weather will hold up and it will cool down at night. If not...UGHH, I don't wanna think about it.

In the first days of the new year, a friend who'll go with me to Argentina said I can stay in his hotel room. (with A/C). Then off to Aregentina for 5 days and back here for six days--which right now, I don't have a place to stay...I need to work on that.

Anyway, it's a beautiful apartment I'm leaving...outdoor shower and all, which I love...and I'll miss it.

TOURISTS, TOURISTS EVERYWHERE

Because of the holidays, the area is packed with tourists.

I like my Brasil better when I'm the novelty act, not thousands of others vying for that spot.


1 comment:

  1. Brett, It was SO nice to have you with us on Christmas Eve, which we all know is the celebration time in the Ross Family.
    With a 5 day antibiotic regimen, I am sure that by now you are feeling as good as new.
    Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete