Monday, December 14, 2009

I'm Late for a Very Important Date

Drama back at the old place...the oven without A/C.

Well, one of they guys got a boyfriend that pretty much never leaves the apt. They stay in their nice A/C'd room, so what did/do I care. But the other guy told me today that he overheard them making plans to move to another state and start a business there, which essentially could put the other roommate in a living situation bind.

I'm glad I'm out of there...I just go back occasionally to do some laundry, or pick up some clothes. BOTH really nice guys, but the house needed some work.

SPEAKING OF HOUSES

So I took Max, my British friend who's remodeled 17 apartments, to this MESS of an apartment to see if there could be any hope for remodeling it into something cool. He had to leave before I could pull him aside, but his last words of advice were this..."have you ever remodeled a place before? I responded in the negative. He said, "well you might not want to make this one your first...it's a LOT of work!"

:)

I'll get more scoop tomorrow, but I think it's gonna more on that theme. MOVE ON, as my NYC roommate always says...Just Move On!

BRASILIAN WAYS

One thing that does kind of annoy me is that they can't seem to keep an appointment of any kind. NOT everyone, and NOT everytime, but definite times don't exist here.

I had an appointment to go with my realtor, his boss, an architect, and my british friend to revisit this apartment. Over the past three days, we've exchanged several phone calls confirming...everything was always a go.

One hour before I am to show up, I get a call from the realtor..."um, we can't do it today. My boss has other appointments, etc. etc.." "We'll didn't he know this earlier?" He mumbled something in Portuguese I didn't understand. "Thiago, are you saying that the other appointments are more important than My appointment." (I thought that ought to get him). He answered very professionally..."if it were me only, yours would be the most important".

And with that, three days of planning, getting people there, were just OFF.

It wouldn't fly in the US, but here, people accept it as common place. I'm sometimes amazed they get anything done. But overall, business and the economy is thriving. So maybe everything doesn't have to be so rigid.

And don't get me wrong, they work long, hard hours. They stay late at work. They have a strong work ethic, just not a strong "appointment on time" ethic.

CHRISTMAS AROUND THE CORNER

I bought some Christmas gifts today. Now I just have to get them shipped there. I wish I knew a good shipping company--that wasn't running on fumes. :)




1 comment:

  1. I have told Gary a few times that I would have a very hard time with the "yes, I'll be there at ______ time!" that contractors in the USA work around. I think I would have a very hard time in Rio. Love you!

    ReplyDelete