Thursday, December 10, 2009

Rainy Night in Rio


Little by little you get a glimpse of what is supposed to be. I'm talking about a new language. Today in my class, Nila mentioned that you don't say this, you say that. You move you mouth like this, not like that. You keep that sound in the back of your mouth, not pressing against your lips. And when she says it, it all sounds so RIGHT. When I try it, it all sounds so wrong...but with practice, it gets better and now when I hear the sounds, I see what she's talking about.

Anyway, it's that old principle, "line upon line, dipthong upon accents". You've all heard it.

Class went well. She was prepared for me, with teeth IN, and the fan in place. I actually think she's pretty good. And she insisted on a two kisses goodbye--if not she said, it means that you may never return.

So she got her two cheek kiss.

LEAVE YOUR WORK IN THE USA

Well, easier said than done. Today I had about three hours of conference calls and work that had to get done.

With the lawsuit, and selecting lawyers, and all that other fun stuff, well, we're right in the thick of making some decisions that will affect us short term and long term, so it moved to the top priority. Not that there was much else going on...IT RAINED CATS AND DOGS here today. And as I write this at 11 p.m. it's slowed a bit, but the rain is expected for another couple of days.

I didn't think this was supposed to be their rainy season, but hey, what do I know. :)

MOVE THAT WALL, RAISE THAT FLOOR...AND START ALL OVER AGAIN

So today I looked at a roof top apartment that really WAS the rooftop. It's one of those hodge-podge add on things..."I think we could make an apartment up here on the roof", but this thing was a MESS. Walls going no where. Floors raised up 2 feet for a room, slanted ceilings, etc. etc.

BUT, the good news is that is has a large terrace, which is a sought after comodity...and slight view of the ocean, and a good view of the huge rocks around Rio (with accompanying slums), and all that other good stuff.

SO, since it doesn't cost anything, I asked the realtor to contact an architect and have them come by and tell me what walls have to stay, which can go, etc. etc.

I'm thinking maybe a LOFT type apt on the top of the building...we'll see if he agrees. I really think it's impossible, but hey, WHO knows.

As Dad always said, at the right price, anything is a good deal.

THINGS I"LL MISS ABOUT BRASIL

1. The rain. When it rains, it REALLY rains. But the good thing is it cleans everything off. I always love rain for that reason. I remember the smell of rain on the farm...LOVED that smell, and the fresh color it gave to EVERYTHING GREEN. (Which if you know our farm, GREEN was a sought after commodity).

2. Nice people. They really are nice people. Today I sat on the bus next to a guy and within a couple of minutes he was telling me about studying Spanish, and working on Royal Carribean, etc. The check out lady at the super market couldn't be helpful enough...Here you weigh each fruit item at the produce section, and they put a sticker on it there. You then check out and they just ring up the price. Well I forgot to do this on my two bananas, and when I got to check out--you'd have thought the whole store was coming to my rescue. NICE PEOPLE.

A TRUE ACCOMPLISHMENT

And I was actually proud of myself today. A couple of days ago I splurged and bought a PINT of Haagan Daz, Dolce de Leite Ice Cream...it cost about $10...so it really was a splurge.

I was all excited to try it out and when I peeled back the lid, and took my first bite, I realized that the ice cream had melted, and then refroze leaving it crystalized. I HATE THAT!!!! It's worse than a mealy peach. Or a bruised banana. Yuck!

So using my best bravado, when at the grocery store, and trying to use my best remembrances of Portuguese, I tried to explain melt, froze, crystalized, soft, pint, etc. etc. Words I don't usually use or even KNOW.

The good news is she got it the first time--without giving me dumb stare, or looking to a co-worker in a state of panic, like a new father might do if he feels his new baby wetting his diaper!

I felt pretty good about myself.

Thanks NILA. I've really sunk mine and your teeth into learning this language and it's paying off--I can return the ice cream for a new pint.

YEAH.



1 comment:

  1. Brett;
    That HagenDaz flavor is Gary's new favorite treat. I am very impressed you were able to communicate a dislike. Way to go! Love you,

    ReplyDelete