Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Golden Contact

It's not good when things do go as planned.

This past week I'd planned to do some sight seeing, but one thing led to another, more work-related things than I expected, and then i realize it's the end of the week and I've yet to see some things I really want to see.

BUT, I will do them before I leave...I promise myself I will.

DOCTOR, DOCTOR, GIVE ME THE NEWS

So yesterday and I was speaking with this successful dermatologist. She'd studied medicine in South Carolina I think. Anyway, one thing led to another and it came out that I'd served a Mormon Mission in Brasil, etc. She then said, "oh, I've always wanted to be a Mormon". As a Missionary, that would have been GOLD TO MY EARS, you know the golden contact. But I laughed and said, "oh really, why's that?". She said that during her training, she'd encountered a training physician that was Mormon. He had a large family and they all seemed to happy and loving. I said, that my family upbringing had been a happy family life..with several kids and lots of love.

She said that some Jewish groups put a strong focus on family, but they seemed a bit cultish, but not the Mormons (wow...so far she was saying all the things a Missionary would be drooling over). She then said that she'd even thought of hiring a Nanny from Utah at one point to help her raise her kids.

I then said, "well, I'm sure they'd take you if you really want to be one." With that, the conversation ended...I guess the dream of being a Mormon was better than the reality. Although if anyone ever does knock on this woman's door, I'm sure she'd be open to it. I have her contact info, maybe I'll send some missionaries to that door.

BRAS-ODDITIES

1. SKINNY SIDEWALKS. For some reason, sidewalk planning has gone awry. Whether certain buildings have been given special clout or not, but it's a hit or miss on sidewalk walking. Some buildings are allowed to jut out, barely leaving enough room for one person to pass before stepping down into the street. Other areas, you could ride four horses side by side, and still have room for a fat woman. It's a bit challenging to navigate during rush hour...and I just hope one day they have the courage to force those buildings to give up their land and create a better walking access.

2. JAMMY CONDIMENTS. I may have brought this up before, but it's starting to gross me out. Their ketchup really looks and moves like a jam...versus a paste. It's rather gross to look at, but tastes the same. And in the end, Ketchup is pretty much all sugar, so I guess it's fitting that it mimics a jam.

Heading out...have a good day.

2 comments:

  1. When I visited Abu Dhabi I felt that what the city managers needed was someone to organize their development projects. Their traffic was crazy and they had many projects that went on for years and years with little progression just because no one was managing the project. I would guess this may be the problem with your walking streets and the encroachment of buildings on theose sidewalks. How about you and I strike it rich by getting ourselves hired by the city engineers in Rio.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brett,

    Please give me this woman's contact information and I will make sure the missionaires in that area go see her and give her a chance to hear the gospel and make her own choice. That would be incredible.

    Thanks, Steve

    ReplyDelete