Sunday, January 17, 2010

Second Try...Good Effort..Bye Brasil...For Now


The Gringo has landed.

Yep, at around 5:30 a.m. EST I landed in Charlotte, NC, went through customs and after a short stint at the food bar, boarded the one hour and 1/2 flight to NYC--Newark actually.

So easy (except that I sat next to two little babies that wanted to cry half the flight--I almost became one of those angry single men inconvenienced by crying babies, but caught myself--realizing that I HATE those type of people. It's not like the parents weren't trying to quiet the babies. The babies were just having none of it)...and at each stop, I felt it getting colder and I had to start layering clothes. When I finally got to my front door, I was officially COLD even though I had on a couple of layers--although not a coat.

But I'm home in my shared apartment with David--my NYC roomie. And my two pieces of luggage sit here waiting for me to give them some attention. I don't have the desire or drive to unpack them just yet. I'll get around to it, hopefully, tomorrow.

MEMORIES LIGHT THE CORNERS OF MY MIND

Lots of good times. New friends I think I'll have for life (or hope to). Maybe an apartment in Copacabana that I, friends and family can enjoy. A renewed interest and love for the language. A sincere appreciation for the Brasilian people. A love for the beautiful scenery and beaches. A desire to eat rice and beans and a lot of other good foods.

I could go on, but all in all, I'm very pleased I took the RISK, the CHANCE, and the BREAK from my life here and experienced 3 months in the Southern Hemisphere. A country soon to become a world power...and a friend for life.

Did I get a second try at life? Well, that was a bit dramatic to begin with, don't you think. But did I gain new perspectives? New understandings? New friends? New experiences and choices that might alter my life moving forward. YES.

So maybe not a second try...but instead a good effort to return to a place of my youth and experience anew as a grown man.

I'm glad I did, and I would recommend it to any and all.

Boa Noite.




2 comments:

  1. Brett,
    So beautifully said. I have missed reading about your life while I have been exploring the Western Carribean. I did however think of you several times as we boated with some "nice buns" if you know what I mean:)
    I would love to know more detail. What friends, what experiences may have changed your life forever.
    I love you and I'm so glad your home safe. Cold....but safe!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of reviewing our lives every few months. This blog of yours has allowed you to do so. "I could go on, but all in all, I'm very pleased I took the RISK, the CHANCE, and the BREAK from my life here and experienced 3 months in the Southern Hemisphere. A country soon to become a world power...and a friend for life." What a nice parting narration! Add that to your next screenplay.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete