Friday, January 15, 2010

It's the Night Before Return to USA Day...

It's true, it's the night before I return to the USA. I can't believe it myself. But it's reality. I find myself looking at stores, streets, products, foods, buses, sidewalks, beaches know, the last time I'll do X, etc.

And just when the city's really getting excited about hosting the World Cup and the Olympic Games.

But maybe I'll be able to be here for that...


Last night we had a major thunder/lightening and rain storm. I love that. I always have. And today we've had cloudy skies, but no rain to speak of yet. Although the skies do look threatening. I think it's supposed to rain a bit tomorrow for sure and then a lot of rain on Sunday. So let it rain as far as I'm concerned. I'm heading to bitter cold anyway, so what's a little warm rain amongst friends.


Today I spent a good portion of my day waiting for things to happen on the apartment. Around 3 p.m. my agent and I met with the selling agent. Now I don't speak perfect Portuguese, but from the minute we sat down, I could tell the selling agent was trying to establish himself as the ALPHA DOG. To the point he yelled out..."then we have nothing more to talk about...the deals off", which caused me to look at my realtor and he responded back rather cooley, again in an Alpha Dog manner...well if you'd passed the information we requested we wouldn't be having this conversation now...and it went back and forth like that for a few minutes.

By the time the meeting was over, we were all friends again.

Business here is similar in many ways and different in many ways from the US. We have our share of Alpha Dog Wanna-bes, and they do too.

In the end, business does get done, and slowly we are creeping closer to resolution on this sale.

One important thing that came out of our 30 minute meeting was that all other 11 condo owners have to sign off on it before I pay any money, and two are traveling, so I guess I don't pay the offer amount until we get those signatures...which could be 1-2 weeks, it looks like.

I'm OK with that.

I also waited for over 1 1/2 hours to view the architectual drawings of the new place. As of yet, I've yet to see it...long story, but to summarize into one sentece--the realtor only had one hard disk drive and it was in the a meeting with the owner of the company. :")

If all goes well, I'll go back shortly and sit with the designer and realtor and review the drawings. I'm excited to see if my vision was able to play out in the space.


I started packing my bag today. I have a lot of stuff, and not sure I'll get it all in, but I have to so THERE IS A WILL AND I'LL FIND A WAY--maybe.

The question then becomes, what do I leave behind?


I'm hoping that Mark will let me sleep one more night at his hotel, but I'm not gonna push it. I texted him earlier today, and he hasn't responded to it, so if not, I'll camp out here. It has cooled down quit a bit because of the rain, so I can survive.

OK, last night here in Rio...what to do, what to do?


  1. Brett,
    It has been so fun reading about your life in Brazil. I'm sad you are leaving too! It's been great to know what is going on with you on a daily basis! I'm glad you will have the opportunity to go back a lot and I'm even gladder I will have a place to stay when I go visit:)
    Have a nice trip home and keep posting. We'll keep reading!

  2. Nikki & TJ and gang...Now that I know someone is actually reading this thing, I just might keep posting. :) Your Uncle...Brett