Monday, October 26, 2009

Gym, Gym-ane, Gym, Gym-ane, Gym Gym FOR FREE

Ask and you shall receive--or in this case, cuss out your online CHASE representative located in, I'm betting, New Delhi, and suddenly you have money again. Yep, an attempt at 3 p.m. yesterday ended up in 600 Reais in my wallet.

Ahh, the magic of plastic!

SWEATING WITH THE OLDY

I like going to the gym. I started going regularly about 10 years ago and have found great internal growth (and external) from it. So, obviously, I wanna join a gym here too. But my first week's living arrangement was with a friend 30 minutes outside the city. I'm now in a temp apt in the Copacabana/Ipanema area. I think I'll be in a more permanent one in two more weeks, so I'm reluctant to join ANY one gym until I know where I'll be.

But using Mormon Ingenuity and Janet-Ross-taught-Frugle-idity, I've been gym hoping, asking for 2-3 free days to TRY OUT THE GYM. So far, it's worked. And this city has a LOT of small gyms, so I should be able to hold out for another week or two before I have to put down more permanent roots and tightly-held MONEY.

I was trying a new gym out yesterday with a new friend (he'd offered me a free guest pass) and 1/2 way through the workout, all the A/Cs stopped working. The remaining work out was a REAL WORK OUT...I was sweating up a storm. But I think I was the only one affected...everyone else seemed used to the heat/humidity.

Oh, and I think I've lost 5-7 pounds in the past two weeks. It's not that I want to, although the stomach has gone down a bit--no more first trimester belly--, but I've yet to find easily convenient restaurants that will keep the weight on. I'm sure they're out there, but so far, well, I'm still looking. I guess I could cook...ahh, c'mon, who are we kidding? Although it is MY GOAL to learn to cook some good Brasilian foods. You know, the standards. So prepare you're pallets. Ready or not...you will enjoy my RICE AND BEANS.

TO BED OR NOT TO BED

So we've all been to hotels that have that bed we know we have to sleep on, but really don't want to. This apt has THAT BED. The first night, it skived me out, the second day, not so much...and by now, well, I figure there's two bed sheets between me and it...what to worry?

In reality, it's not THAT bad...no bed bugs. It's just not the good bed I had in NYC. Ahh, and one thing I wish I had brought down was a change of my good bed sheets. LESSONS LEARNED.

GIVING THANKS

I see that some of you have already logged in and read the blog (they like me, they really like me), and even better, some of you left comments. LOVE the comments...Keep 'em coming. And please, tell me after a couple of days if the screenplay is working...if it isn't, I'll just forget it and we can all pretend it never happened.

OK, a new French/Algerian guy arrived a couple of days, and being that are both lost in this city, we hung out a bit today...again, looking for another gym to HOP in and out of.

7 gym s down...many, many more to go.


FORLORN HOPE

Page 3

CUT TO:

INT. ELIZA DONNER HOUGHTON'S HOUSE, SHERMAN'S BEDROOM (1875) - NIGHT

The room is dark except for moonlight entering the windows.

ELIZA DONNER HOUGHTON, 33, junoesque and haughty, bolts upright in bed, SCREAMING.

SHERMAN HOUGHTON, 56, balding with a long brown beard, wakes.

SHERMAN
Eliza? Eliza?

He pulls her close. Eliza slowly wakes.

SHERMAN
It's all right. There, there now...it's okay.

ELIZA
Keseberg had me again.

Sherman caresses her cheek, calming her.

SHERMAN
Your'e here. You're safe. Sweetie, there, there.
You're safe. It's all right, I'm here.

EXT. SALT LAKE CITY, HOTEL & STREET - MORNING

SUPERTITLE: SALT LAKE CITY, 1875

Early Summer. A warm, clear, sunny day. CHARLES McGLASHAN, 44, dressed in business attire, walks out of the hotel. He stands and looks down the street towards the Mormon Temple, still under construction.

He walks towards it. He's cordial to passersby, but women and children eye him with suspicions.

He approaches an OLDER MORMON MAN and MORMAN MAN exchanging a handshake.

OLDER MORMON MAN
A blessing for your good wives, Brother Nelson.

MORMON MAN
To you and yours as well, Bishop.

The Morman Man backs into Charles.

CHARLES
And a good morning to you, sir.

MORMON MAN
(tipping his hat)
Morning, Stranger.

EXT. MORMON OFFICE BUILDING

Situated across the street from the Mormon Temple. Charles takes a long look at the building, then enters.


1 comment:

  1. Brettly,
    The way you looked and felt at the end of your workout, is the way I look and feel every day after my work out. Madison calls it gross. David, kindly, but distantly pretends like it doesn't bother him and Ross just nonchalantly asks, "how was your workout?". Why did I have to get all the sweaty genes in the family? It just doesn't seem very lady like.:) I would guess a male in Rio sweating after a work out is a good thing.
    I am in suspense as to how the story goes. I find myself wanting to skip over the "details" and right to the dialogue, but I know, I know, it's a screenplay.
    I love you. Be careful and get some good recipes.

    ReplyDelete