Thursday, October 29, 2009

Silver Gloves and Lope-sided Perspectives

Just got back from seeing Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT. I have to say, I wasn't that excited to see it...more a life experience since it will only play for 2 weeks worldwide. But after seeing, I'm glad I did. He was a FREAKY man, no question, BUT he was also an extraordinary talent. I have to say, two white sequined thumbs up.

THE KEY MASTER

Tried out another gym today with another American friend, and as soon as I was ready to leave, I realized I'd done it. I knew I would. And yep, I'd fallen into my own trap...I left my keys in the apartment.

So after a three hour bus trip back and forth to my friend's house in Barra de Tijuca who'd stowed away a spare key, I was able to get back into the apartment.

Speaking of which, I'll need to be out of this place by next Friday. Now, I've been looking for other options...at this point, I have two: 1. A room within a two bedroom in Copacabana. Pros: it's furnished and ready to move in. Cons: It's a bit expensive for a room in a small apartment without A/C...about $1,000 a month. It's also not on the beach...two blocks from, but has a reasonable view of the beach but not on the beach. 2. A room within a three bedroom in Copacabana living with the two guys I originally stayed with when I arrived (and the dog, Meg). Pros: It is on the beach, you walk out the door and there's the beach. And one of the guys likes to cook!!!!! The apt will have a Washing Machine. Cons: The apt doesn't face the beach, it faces a parking lot in the back. Completely unfurnished. No A/C. About $1,000 a month. I'd have to buy a bed (which the guys agreed to buy back from me when I leave.)

At this point, I'm leaning to option two SIMPLY because "one of the guy's likes to cook". :) But I must decide by this weekend.

VULTURES IN THE MORNING

It's a weird concept, but a beautiful site. Each morning, from about 7-9 a.m., HUNDREDS of vultures fly into the beach areas of Rio and circle above the waiting city. I think they catch the updraft off the ocean, forced upward by the sky-rising Apt/Hotels and simply Vulture-Glide, circling for hours.

It's an amazing site to see. Especially when you know what type of birds they are.

And speaking of the city, it's been kind of overcast with occasional rain showers over the past couple of days. But I don't mind that--I've not been HURTING to spend a lot of time on the beach, thinking less of sun tan, more of sun burn potential, so this kind of weather is cooler and suits me fine.

There will be time for the Sun. Plenty of time.

CUT SHORT

Enough of the shaggy me. Today I went and got a haircut at a local barder. He really spent a lot of time getting everything right (not that I'd know. I hate looking at my hair because I know that I've a balding spot on the crown of my head and I go to great lengths not to look at it--you know the adage, if you don't see/know it, it's not there--kind of like not watching the news at night. If you don't hear it or see it, it's NOT really there). So when he handed me the mirror to look at his MASTERPIECE, I simply squinted my eyes, got out of focus and began giving him praises.

However when I got home and took a guarded look, I noticed that one side of my head was longer than the other side. LOL Now, it's not THAT noticeable, but still, I'm a bit lop-sided. :")

But I'm a bit lop-sided in life at times too...but I've become pretty adept at just squinting my eyes and giving myself praises.

FORLORN HOPE

Page 4

INT. MORMON OFFICE BUILDING, LOBBY - CONTINUOUS

A large romantic WESTERN LANDSCAPE PAINTING depicting a covered wagon train hangs on the wall. Portraits of Brigham Young and Joseph Smith hang on the opposite wall.

Charles enters, takes in the imposing paintings then walks to the front desk. An OLD MORMON WOMAN stares at him.

CHARLES
Good day, Ma'am. I'm Charles McGlashan, Editor
for the Truckee Republic.

She looks at him, but remains stoic.

CHARLES
Near Donner Lake. I wrote earlier--

She sneers, showing NO teeth.

OLD MORMON WOMAN
You're late.

INT. MORMON OFFICE BUILDING, LIBRARY--MOMENTS LATER

Charles sits at a large table. The woman approaches carrying a wood crate, placing it on the table.

OLD MORMON WOMAN
It's all I could find of the Mormon Battalion's trek through
California and back here to Deseret.

CHARLES
My heartfelt appreciation for your kind efforts.

Charles pulls his reading glasses from his pocket.

OLD MORMON WOMAN
It's to look at only.

CHARLES
Understood.

INT. MORMON OFFICE BUILDING, LIBRARY - HOURS LATER

Books, maps, clothing and writing instruments are strewn over the table. Charles closes a book and puts it aside.

He pulls out a dusty book from the crate. A brush of his hand reveals the words LA SANTA BIBLIA. He thumbs through it, landing on the Book of Job. Two pieces of paper and a swatch of Cloth lie between it's pages.

He sneaks a look at the old woman. She's distracted.

He examines the yellowed, artistically femine script. The cloth has a crude map made of charcoal.

CHARLE'S POV - THE HANDWRITTEN PAGES

CHARLES (V.O)
Cold and snowing again. My eldest girls have left
me and are hopefully beside a kind stranger's
warm fire. George does not yet rest in the warmth
of an angel's wing, but I fear that day will shortly come...

Charles flips the paper over. His demeanor changes as a smile crosses his lips.

CHARLES
Tamzene Donner, I found you.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brett. That post was fun. I felt like I was watching HGTV's house hunters. I love HGTV. The guy who can cook is definitely a pro but Meg is a con. This is so fun reading your blog and wishing I was you! Brazil sounds great! Other than the diarrhea part...con. Have a great day and be safe!
    Nik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, to have the troubles you have...ie, do I live in a house 2 blocks from the beach or do I have to live in a house that is on the beach but it doesn't face it. Brett, people should not have to go through things like this, it is just too much to ask of ANYONE! Of course you live with the one who cooks.:)
    Beware of the vultures...you have the "the birds".
    Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we ALL go through life a little lop-sided. Don't you? Balance is something few of us achieve. Love you!

    ReplyDelete