Thursday, October 29, 2009

It Does a Body Good

Just when you think you're smarter than the average jaguar (native to the Amazon), um, I did it again. I went to try out another gym today (Mom, how long do you think I can drag this out...another free toaster if I open a $100 savings account, Colleen), and all was good. But after a short stroll down the beach, and lunch at a sidewalk cafe, I got home and realized the key must have fallen out of my pocker. So about $30 bucks later and a vist the local locksmith--did anyone else not know how really EASY it is to pick a lock--and I was back in my apartment.

I got two keys made..I'm thinking of burying one in the sand on the beach so I can always have one to go find.

THE BODY BEAUTIFUL

I'm not sure if it's living near the beach, or if I haven't seen enough people yet, but yeah, I think I can confrim that Americans are generally much heavier than Brasilians. Diet has to be part of it, but also they seem to walk a lot more and generally live less sedentary lives. And life isn't quiet as easy. Many families people still don't use washing machines so they wash their clothes by hand. Food here is just as expensive as in NYC, and I dont' think they come close to the average wages in NYC...so less food or smaller amounts.

Anyway, the average person looks a lot slimmer than in the US.

And everyone here seems to focus on developing the LOWER body, while Americans tend to focus on the UPPER body. I guess it's because of the soccer culture, but women have the most perfect rear-ends. Men, the strongest legs.

JUST A LITTLE NIP TUCK

Met a Brasilian (boyfriend of the American guy I met a couple days ago), and low and behold, he's wearing a support belt under his shirt. I question him why (he speaks English so I could speak freely), and he proceeded to tell me that at least in this beach culture, plastic surgery is VERY common. He'd had a little lipo to take away those tiny little love handles around the wais t and little fat in the lower abs. Now mind you, this guy isn't even close to fat...it's just a body-beautiful culture, and he wanted the perfect body to go with his handsome face.

The real question is, "How much did it cost?". Anyone wanna guess? Well, come to find out, they pay by the weight in kilos sucked from the body. He paid $1.500 reais, or about $1,000 for that surgery.

Anyone want me to book reservation?

EAT UP

Remember I said I hand't found any good hole in the wall restaurants. Well the past couple of days I realized they'd all been hiding right under my nose. On about every street corner there's little mini-restaurants. I'd always thought they only sold Juices, but come to find out, it's like a little mini Brasilian diner.

Delicious and CHEAP. I LOVE IT. Now I'm exploring all the good ones around my neighborhood. And I hope to regain my 5 pounds lost somewhere in this country. Maybe they're near my key?

Choveu hoje a dia.

FORLORN HOPE

Page 5 & 6

EXT. WASHINGTON D.C. - NIGHT

SUPERTITLE: WASHINGTON D.C., 1875

The city, US Capital and White House stand prominently in the expanding city.

EXT. WHITE HOUSE, DRIVEWAY AND FRONT DOOR

Elegant carriages arrive. Finely dressed MEN and WOMEN exit carriages and climb the steps.

MILITARY GUARDS assist Eliza and Sherman from their carriage. Both join a receiving line. Eliza take from her pocket a wrapped candy and plops it in her mouth.

INT. WHITE HOUSE, FOYER

SERVANTS take Sherman and Eliza's coast and hats as they approach Presidnet RUTHEFORD B. HAYES and MRS. HAYES.

RUTHERFORD
Well, if it isn't the Orpah of the West herself.

He kissed Eliza's cheek.

MRS. HAYES
You look lovely.

They embrace.
SHERMAN
Am I now to be known only as the husband of a
survivor of the Donner Party?

RUTHEFORD
If it wins you votes, yes.

Rutheford guffaws and hardily shakes Sherman's hand.

INT. WHITE HOUSE, BANQUET HALL - LATER THAT NIGHT

The remaions of a seated banquet litters the tables. The room is filled to capacity. The men smoke. The room erupts in APPLAUSE.

Eliza, seated at the President's table, approaches the podium. Rutherford leave the podium, ,kissing her as he moves to his seat.

ELIZA
I am truly honored to be here toinght with
you all, my esteemed friends, to reflect on how
California has benefited, and will continue to do so,
because of the truly remarkable wonder of the
modern world--the Transcontinental Railroad.

APPLAUSE

ELIZA
What took my family and tens of thousands of
couragous pioneers several months to transverse
now takes these great monsters of the rail less
than one week. If you haven't as of yet taken the
opportunity to travel across our vast plains, thread
through our pristene mountain passes and finally
bask in the warming climes of our pacific shores, I
strongly urge you to begin living yesterday's
dream today.

APPLAUSE. Eliza basks in the moment.



1 comment:

  1. I saw an Oprah segment (BTW: When I read the word Orpah in your screenplay I read it as Oprah and thought you had your centuries mixed up.) where she interviewed women around the world. The woman she interviewed in Rio touched on the beauty of the Brazilian people and mentioned that plastic surgery is VERY common and comparatively inexpensive. Love you!

    ReplyDelete