Friday, October 30, 2009

Wipe That Smile Off Your ... FACE

I'm tired. Sweaty and tired. And I feel like I lost the war. Today, I kind of ran out of steam and gave in and paid for a 4 day membership to a gym. I feel defeated...I know there must be many more free-days I could have conquered, but I was hot and tired and didn't wanna walk any further. Besides, I'll be moving next week and thought, ahh, lets just fork over the dough.

So, I joined the one gym I knew that had a reasonable weekly rate. I SOLD OUT. Sorry Mom.

BRAS-ODDITIES

1. Napkins. Just about every eating establishment has these wax-paper/tissue paper type sheets they pass off as absorbant (they aren't) napkins. I bought some real ones for the aptartment and dare I say I kind of look forward to a good wipe across my mouth when I'm home.

2. Toilet Paper. Speaking of a good wipe, not all places still do this, but most public places have a little trash can in ever toilet stall--and some homes. Why you might ask? Um, supposedly either the sewer systems aren't built for it, or something, but you're supposed to WIPE and THROW in the trash can--not the toilet bowl. So far, I've been a rebel...no trash cans for me. It goes where everything else does...out of sight, out of mind.

TURQUOIS WATER & WAVES

I spent an hour at the beach today...a REAL hour, meaning I put out a towel, wore a swim suit, and actually got in the water. Refreshing, but not too cool, but the waves were pretty big...too big to body surf. I didn't last long, but it sure felt good. And still I got a bit of a burn even with 30 SPF.

I still can't get over how cool the sand is here. I love it. A good beach isn't a beach unless you can actually feel it squeak under your feet. And this sand does. It's beautiful.

THE SOUND OF SILENCE

My temporary apartment sits at the intersection of five streets, and because of it, I hear quite a bit of traffic. Now, usually I tune it out, but I really get annoyed when a bus or truck or motorbike decides it's time I wake up--at 7 a.m.

But that said, I also live near Ipanema Hospital. Now if I lived near a hospital in NYC, I would hear sirens every 15 minutes. LOUD sirens. In fact, NYC is a city of sirens...police, ambulence, political convoys moving through the city. It's just a loud HONKING city.

But in the two weeks I've been here, I think I've heard only 2 or three ambulence or police sirens. It's just wierd how cities are different.

Why would NYC need so many sirens, and Rio need them hardly at all?

Weird, right? Do people die less here? Do police not hurry around doing stuff? I can't figure it out.

FORLORN HOPE

Page 7

INT. WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM - LATER

The energetic group dances to a string quartet. The President dances with Eliza. Standing on the periphery are Mrs. Hayes and Sherman.

MRS. HAYES
She's remarkable. And to think of all she's
endured, yet overcome. Only Hell could hold
more misery I'm afraid.

SHERMAN
She's definitely one of a kind.

A black White House servant approaches Sherman.

SERVANT
Senator, a telegram for your wife. It appears
urgent.

We see the hand holding the autograph.

MATCH CUT TO:

INT. TELEGRAPH OFFICE - DAY

A similar telegram is held by a white hand. Another male hand grasps it, pushing it into the back pocket of his denims and exits.

EXT. CALIFORNIA RANCH - DAY

The ground passes under the feet of a racing horse, across a green meadow. And then we see the telegraph stuffed into the rider's back pocket.

EXT. CALIFORNIA RANCH - CONTINUOUS

SUPERTITLE: NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Early summer. Billowy white clouds.

From above we see a lone woman astride a horse overlooking a large mountain pasture and grazing cattle.

This woman is MARY GRAVES CLARK, 48, majestic with long dark, graying ringlets, Grecian looks and fine teeth.

She's watching her son, DANIEL, 14, approaching her at full gallop.

Daniel abruptly halts his horse and hands Mary the telegram.

DANIEL
Ma, this come for you.

MARY
Came. This came. And it couldn't wait?

DANIEL
It could, I couldn't.

Mary smiles and reads.

DANIEL
Well?

Mary eyes him.
DANIEL
Well?

MARY
Am I to assume curiosity killed the cat...again?

Mary turns her horse.
DANIEL
So, ya think you'll go Ma?

MARY
See if you can beat your old Mother home.

She takes off at a full gallop.

DANIEL
Ma!

He speeds after her.


1 comment:

  1. Brett, I have a thought for you. Because we,(non screen writing individuals) are used to reading books, it is harder for us to read through the stage directions. We get a little lost in it. It removes us from your story. Consider that as you post. You may want to minimize the stage directions a little? Love you!

    ReplyDelete